CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Blog in the Round: The Basement

So here I am writing a blog on yet another controversial topic. Most likely, it will end then same and some people will agree with what I say while others disagree whole-heartily. But that's ok, not everybody has the same views. When Davis first gave me the topic, I really wished that he hadn't. I kinda wanted something dumb like Wal-mart or Jeff Roberts, but no, I got The Basement. I thought of a couple of different routes I could take on it. Andy suggested that I use this blog as a time to bash Matt Pitt. I thought about it, but I really don't know Matt Pitt so I decided that wouldn't be the best way to go. I thought about writing about my actual basement, but I decided that was pretty dumb and it sounded like something Jeff would do.( I love you Jeff Roberts) Then I really just thought I would do something very out of the ordinary for this topic and actually states my opinions on The Basement. So here goes nothing.

I would like to start out by saying that I have never actually been to The Basement. So maybe your thinking that I am not entitled to have an opinion if I've never actually been, but I think that The Basement is one of those things you hear about so much you know pretty much what its like without going. Of course, I've never experienced it first hand; but I still think I can somewhat form my own opinion on the issue. I haven't not been to the basement because I think its full of a bunch wanna be Christian heathens. I haven't not been to the basement because I myself am I heathen. And I haven't not been to the basement because I don't have a life and I never leave my house. Actually, I think the reason I haven't been is because everyone loves it so much, because I get tired of being "basement witnessed", and actually just the response I get when I say I haven't been. To me, being basement witnessed is kinda like chain letters and forwarded messages. Sometimes I run across one that I actually like and I plan on sending it to a few people. That is, until I read 47,000 times how you have to send it to 16 people within an hour. I hate that. Maybe I'm just being some kind of rebel or something, but it's almost like I don't want to do it just because it says to do it. Oh and then is the part where it tells you that you are being cursed if you don't send it on. That makes me wanna delete the message and then go shoot the person who sent it to me. This also reminds me of basement witnessing. It's almost like these kids are brainwashed to think that your some horribly sinful person if you don't go. But let me tell you something. I do in fact attend church regularly, and just because I don't go to the basement and "get crunk for Jesus" every Tuesday night, doesn't mean that I am any less of a Christian than you.

Moving on to the next issue. Even if you haven't been to the basement, I'm sure you know that they use rock and rap music as a lot of their worship. Do I think this is necessarily wrong? No. But one thing that does bother me is how they take secular rap songs that are full of terrible lyrics that pretty much slap every Christian moral right in the face, and make it a song to supposedly glorify God. God tells us to be in the world, but not of it. In my opinion, this is trying to make all of Christianity a thing of the world which is not something it should be. Singing songs like "Jesus is my rock star" and "meet me at the basement, its going down" do not really sound glorifying to God at all. In fact, it sounds pretty degrading to me. Most rock stars are just a bunch of drug addicts who sing about immoral filth. I mean, I'm not one of those people who thinks that any music besides Christian music is bad; but I don't really think that kind of music belongs in church. I think that people in this world are supposed bring God/The Bible into their lives, but it seems to me like the basement is doing it backwards. They are bringing the world into Christianity. Romans 12:2 says, "Do not fall into the ways of the world". We do that enough ourselves, and when church events bring us more into that I think it's just making it worse. I know that all of this is really just a way to bring outsiders to Christ, and I think that's great; but I also don't think that are really getting what Christianity is all about this way.

Although I said I was not going to use this blog to bash Matt Pitt, I do think it is necessary to talk about him. Like I said, I do not know Matt and I do not know what is in his heart. I do not know this from experience, but I have heard that he is notorious for not quoting the Bible correctly. Like with anybody who preaches to you, I think that you should listen to what they have to say but not necessarily believe everything they say until you really get the chance to think about it and back it up with scripture. We are all humans and are prone to mistakes, and by accepting every word that comes out of a preachers mouth you are bound at some point to hear something that is not fully the truth. This is a problem I see in a lot of people who go to the basement. It's almost like they seem to look at it as "Matt's infallible word" instead of God's. I've heard people talk about how Matt Pitt changed their life, and I don't really think that is right. Matt Pitt didn't change your life, God did. Maybe God worked through Matt Pitt to make a difference in your life, but Matt Pitt did not change your life. So if your going to the basement because its about Matt, then I think you need to change your motives.

I think that whether you go to the basement or not you should still have a home church that you attend. I have heard that Matt does a good job of making that a major point and that is something I can respect in him. I've heard all the way from "Matt is one of the greatest and most Godly men I know. I look up to and respect him a lot." to "Matt is a stuck up arrogant jerk who really doesn't know anything about the Bible." I am not going to side one way or the other because I've never talked to the guy, heck I've never even heard him preach. Because of this, I don't think I am in the right position to judge his character either way.

To a certain extent, I think the basement has almost lost its dignity. It's lost its fire that it used to have. Now, its really just a place to hang out. They call it "club Jesus". I once heard someone describe the basement as just like a club but it's with Christians. Well, think about what goes on at a club and should church events be anything like that? I think not. My friend told me that she was talking to someone who went to the Basement for the first time and when she asked if he liked it he said "Oh yeah, I thought it was great! That is, until I went to the bathroom and some guy tried to sell me drugs". I find this sad. As Christians, we are supposed to be out in the world fighting against these kinds of things, but instead these things are coming into our churches and are fighting against us. Again, we must not fall into the ways of the world.

Now that I've said all of this, and I've probably offended some people I would like to say that I think The Basement ministry is doing great things. I find it amazing how thousands of people across the nation are coming to Birmingham, Alabama for this one church event. I find it amazing how more and more people are coming to Christ through this ministry. And I find it amazing how Christians no matter what denomination are coming together as one. I think that Christian fellowship is a great thing and I think there should be more of it. Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching". So although I've stated my disagreements with the basement, I think the ministry has a lot of great things going for it and I hope that it can continue to bring more people to Christ.

So who knows. Maybe one of these Tuesday nights I'll make it up there. Maybe one night I'll feel like staying up until 1:00 to watch it on tv. But until then this is my opinion so take it or leave it.

~*Elizabeth

11 comments:

Matt Benton said...

I think that the basement is doing a great thing by bringing the message of Jesus to people who probably wouldn't be open to hearing it. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who have come to Christ because of the basement, and I think that is a great thing. Typical church probably wouldn't appeal to most of those people.

But I do think the basement tends to glorify itself too much. There are basement wristbands and bumper stickers. The George Bush "W" parody stickers are already way overdone, and even the basement has those with a "B" in place of the "W". I wouldn't mind the basement so much if they didn't constantly emphasize themselves so much. I always hear about "the basement" but I don't really hear about Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I understand where you are coming from, I myself had the same concerns and complaints before i started going. It does start with rapping, secular songs are modified, but soon after a few of those your known typical christian songs are played and people worship like they would in any church. Then the message is brought. Remember this is an evangilism, not a church. the basements goal is to reveal who Jesus is to people and get them ot a commitment point for Jesus, then they are plugged into a local church for Pastoring by a Pastor.

On the " Glorifying' the Basement. NO WAY, Stickers and wrist bands yes. I mean people have stickers for churches, bands, drinks, sports teams ect. Its just an advertisement, or a conversation piece....I wear my wristband to remind me of what got my life refocused on God, An out of the box service called The Basement. We can not save anyone no matter how wild or outlandish some might view this service as. Only Jesus can do that. Thats what we Glorify and represent.

I invite you to come if you choose and are able.

God Bless
rom 12:17-21

stephanie said...

the only issue i have with the basement is that i hate cheesy rap. it would fail to reach me. for some people, that may be their thing. for me, i think i'd prefer more of a skynyrd/christian take on things. so maybe we should start a church similar to the basement but that changes really awesome songs by good bands like skynyrd and ccr and jimi hendrix into christian songs. let's find common ground among everyone.

I KNOW! lets start a church for people who like to kill animals and only play ozzy osbourne songs!

OOOH! lets start a church for ONLY people with aids!

NO!!! lets start a church for people who have been abducted by aliens. SWEET.

i could do that forever. although the gospel is a universal message, it's apparent that our "outreach" methods constantly differentiate depending on the type of people we want to draw in. or maybe just our taste as far as music and stuff goes. regardless, the point im tryin to make is the basement, with all its lights and rap music and dancing, for some people it's just not their style.

[btw, i have been before, to rescue a friend who got suckered into going. i was only there for a few minutes.]

andy said...

please remember, i don't know mr pitt either. i jokingly told you that because it is easy to make stuff up about people you don't know. just wanted to clear that up.

don't want the basement mafia cooming to my house.

by the way, on my old blog, i posted about why i don't go to the basement. maybe i'll repost it for you guys.

Elizabeth said...

thanks for posting ya'lls opinions too!

Oh yeah, I didnt mean to make it sound like andy was serious when he told me to do that. So sorry if I did. He really isn't THAT horrible of a person

Anonymous said...

I have been to the Basement. Only because I had friends who wanted me to go SO bad they wouldn't leave me alone until I did. I figured it wouldn't hurt if I went just one time.

I have never felt so out of place and uncomfortable in my life. I know that is not how it feels for most people, but the rap SCARED me. Then I felt like Matt was yelling at me the whole time.

Then I see people everyday that go to the basement and say they have had a spiritual "experience" then at school they still act like the same jerks they have always been. That is not how it is supposed to work.

Kevin Brown said...

I agree with Matt. But the basement really helps out a bunch of people. Me and Aimee went two times(not because we wanted to) And we hated it. Its the exact opposite of Andy, who is laid back and makes his points calmly. Matt Pitt yells at you and they have the mics turned up to "ungodly" loud. The music is terrible and ungodly loud. But the people there really get into it. And a lot of lives have been changed by it. It all depends on what you like.

Elizabeth said...

oh and please realize that I'm not saying I'm really agains the basement. Its just not my style, and I expressed my opinions on WHY its not my style.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the rap is something you must like to enjoy, its rap period. If you dont like it then you dont like it wheather its christian or not. Their is worship after the rap. Its just a place to have and encounter with God, it just may not relate to people who have grown up in churches, especially southern churches. It does reach way out to the people who wouldnt give a Sunday Church a chance. It's not in any way trying to promote itself over a church. The goal is to get people (teeneagers mostly) to go back to church and live their life for Jesus....Check out the websire for a little more info....thebasementonline.com

God Bless

Elizabeth said...

Hey Jason, thanks for the comments! I was just wondering though...do I know you? I don't have a problem with you commenting or anything, I'm just wondering if I know you and don't realize it or if you just found my blog somehow.

Again, thanks for your opinions.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know that different things minister to different people and that it touches people differently. There are people at The Basement who are ministered to through the rap, the message, and the human videos. If you've never been then don't say anything about because you don't know for sure. it's like saying you hate a movie and never actually seen it.